Hello there! The holidays are just around the corner and offering online gift certificates to your current and potential customers is a win-win for everyone!
If I’ve installed a Zen-Cart shopping cart for you, here’s how to set them up and start using them today; without any special mods!! Of course, if you want a custom gift card design, CONTACT ME TODAY to create that for you!
To sell Gift Certificates in your store, you need to create them as specific products (according to special requirements, outlined below):
1. In the Admin, make a new category called Gift Certificates. Add a product to the category called Gift Certificates.
2. On the Product Information Page fill in the blanks as follows:
Products Status: In Stock
Date Available: leave blank
Products Manufacturer: leave blank
Products Name: Gift Certificate
Product is Free: No
Product is Call for Price: No
Product Priced by Attributes: Yes No
This is up to you, if you choose to price by attributes you only need a single ‘product’.
Tax Class: choose appropriate
Products Price (Net): Your price or zero if pricing by attibutes.
Products Price (Gross): figured automatically
Virtual Products do not have a shipping charge and do not require a shipping address such a Services, Gift Certificates, etc. Always Free Shipping does not have a shipping charge, but do require a shipping address Downloads are assumed to be Virtual Products – Neither option needs to be marked
Product is Virtual: Yes, Skip Shipping
Always Free Shipping: No.
Products Quantity Box Shows: Yes, Show
Product Qty Minimum: leave blank
Product Qty Maximum: 0 = Unlimited, 1 = No Qty Boxes or Max ##
Product Qty Units: leave blank
Product Qty Min/Unit Mix: leave blank
Products Description: Your description.
Products Quantity: leave blank or put in a large number to track number sold.
If you are finding that you cannot add a Gift Certificate to your cart while shopping, try adding a quantity here!
Products Model: GIFT-xxxxx
The model MUST begin with GIFT
Products Image: Upload an image
Upload to directory: choose directory
Products URL: leave blank
Products Weight: leave blank
3. Click Preview and then Save it.
4. Now go to Modules->Order Total and click Install to install and/or Edit to configure the ot_gv Gift Certificate module.
HOW DOES IT WORK THEN ?
After the Administrator has approved the Gift Certificate (There’s a “release” button in admin area if someone buys one), THEN the Gift Certificate funds are made available to the customer.
Upon release/approval, they are immediately added to the Customer’s Gift Certificate balance.
The customer can then USE those funds for themselves, OR they can email them to friend(s) via the links provided automatically in the store (esp shopping cart sidebox). They can email as much as they want, to various people, up to the amount they’ve purchased. Whoever they email it to will receive a new redemption code and can follow the redemption process, either redeeming via the email link, going to the Gift Certificate FAQ page or redeeming during checkout. The customer can email the funds again if they wish or use the GV Balance for themselves.
How do I sell Gift Certificates?
1. Create Gift Certificate products as described above
2. Enable the Gift Certificate order-total module, as described above
3. Draw attention to gift certificates on your store, perhaps by creating a home-page graphic with a link to your gift-certificates category. Sometimes people will create a new sidebox just for drawing attention to this sort of thing.
4. When Gift Certificates are purchased, be sure to log into your Admin area and release them if you’ve configured it to queue them rather than auto-release them.