That is a very powerful statement I know…Here’s my story…
About 3 or 4 days ago our heater went out. I had someone come over to look at it and they thought it might have just been tripped, or the thermostat was being wonky. He did a few things and it seemed to be working okay; until he left. It shut down again. It was COOOOLD in the house so we went to the local Home Depot and got a little heater. That worked well for the last couple of days. After playing with the thermostat for a minute, I thought it might be a good idea to check the filters. Well, needless to say they were DIRTY. It’s been about 4-6 months since they’ve been changed. Guess I just forgot. So we jumped in the burb and went to get filters. Put them in and VOILA, everything seemed to be working!!
We went to bed last night with a roasty toasty house and woke up to a very COLD house. I said…man…I’ve totally had enough of this!! I called A-1 American to come and look at it today. The report they gave me will stick in my mind forever. The first thing they guy asked me is if I had Carbon Monoxide detectors in the house. I said I have two…but I haven’t checked them recently. He said, well I’m really surprised they aren’t all going off!!!! My heart dropped and I felt like I was going to pass out.
Come to find out, we had a cracked heat exchanger in which c02 was being pushed back into the house!!! The gas valve was faulty and the Flame Sensor was bad.
So after $2310 worth of repair work, we are safe and sound and once again a BLESSED family. We thank GOD every day that we are safe because this situation could have been MUCH worse…What a scary thing.
For anyone that has gas furnaces, PLEASE have them inspected annually and make sure you have Co2 detectors in your home (and make sure the battery works)!
Thank you A-1 American!!!
If you are in the Virginia Beach, Chesapeake/ Hampton Roads area and you need HVAC service call A-1 American .
Their office is located at:
810 Juniper Crescent, #108
Chesapeake, VA 23320